Courage to Teach® (CTT) is a program of stand-alone retreats or quarterly retreat series for the personal and professional renewal of educators.
Courage to Teach focuses neither on technique, nor directly on school reform, but rather on renewing the inner lives of professionals in education. CTT was developed by Parker J. Palmer, PhD, and is offered by Courage & Renewal facilitators in North America and Australia.
Courage to Teach:
- renews heart, mind, and spirit through the exploration of the inner landscape of a teacher’s life.
- reconnects to one’s identity and integrity—identifying and honoring gifts and strengths, and acknowledging limits.
- creates a context for careful listening and deep connection that also honors diversity in person and profession.
- helps educators create safe spaces and trusting relationships in their schools, with their students and colleagues, and within their communities.
- Explores the connection between attending to the inner life of educators and the renewal of public education.
Each CTT group consists of twenty to thirty educators. In large-group, small-group, and solitary settings, “the heart of a teacher” is explored, making use of personal stories, reflections on classroom practice, and insights from poets, storytellers, and various wisdom traditions. Retreats often follow a seasonal theme, using the rich metaphors of the seasons as a way of exploring vocational and life questions.
WholeHearted can offer the Courage to Teach program for a group of schools across a specific system, network or region. Contact us to discuss your specific needs.
Courage to Teach® is a registered trademark of the Center for Courage & Renewal. To find out more…